Tuesday 14 August 2012

Goats!

I've been considering what Goats I'd like to get when I get my land and am all settled in. Given that I'd need hardy animals, able to handle cold winters and warm summers (that seem to be getting warmer!).

I think I've narrowed it down to the following:


-Alpine /French-Alpine.
-Hardy, erect ears, nice coat patterns, good milk production, easy kidders and good mothers who often have twins or triplets. Moderate size (130-170lbs).


-LaMancha.
-Hardy, nice coat patterns, interesting appearance with very small ears, are supposedly very friendly with people. Moderate size (130-160lbs).



-Nigerian Dwarf.
-Not a true "dwarf", but a small goat from Africa. Can be used to produce "minis" by crossing Nigerian Bucks to other types of Does (never the other way around).
-High butter fat content to the milk, erect ears, nice variety of coat patterns, small size (average 75lbs), easy kidders and natural mothers, friendly.


 I do also like Kiko goats for their hardiness, ease of care, and resistance to disease and parasites. They're also a bit smaller in size. I have seen some nice Kiko x's that make good dual purpose animals,  giving good milk and meaty carcasses. Having one in the herd would be interesting!


I can't wait to get my property so I can start actually posting about MY animals and how I raise 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment