Wednesday 25 July 2012

Book Review: Get Your Pitchfork On! By Kristy Athens




http://www.amazon.com/Get-Your-Pitchfork-Country-Self-reliance/dp/1934170348/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343265412&sr=1-1&keywords=get+your+pitchfork+on


I recently purchased (and read) this book. Picked up at my local Indigo book store.

Well written, straight-forward, and entertaining. I really appreciated all the small things the author included that I don't think many people would consider during their move from Urban/Sub-urban living, to Rural life... I found the first chapter, about selecting land and what to watch out for, especially useful and insightful.As well as the chapter about dogs/pets in the country.

I'd say this book works best as a companion to the more detailed, or specialized literature that's out there. Like the Encyclopedia of Country Living, and other useful homesteading books. The author talks briefly about many things (from small town politics and etiquette, to Hunting and small town social practices), but doesn't go into particular details about things like animal husbandry or growing vegetables. Instead, directing people to read other books, or look up particular subjects online.

I will point out however that a lot of the content of the book is written (obviously) from an American point of view. Being that I'm in Canada, things are a bit different here (though I'm sure there are places outside my Province that may behave more like the rural USA in regards to their conservative nature, economic focus, religious and even racial leanings). Thankfully, where I am, much of that is tempered.

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase. Definitely one to add to the library.. and if you can find one used, or on sale... all the better. ;)

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment