Monday 9 July 2012

Livestock Guardians and Predator Protection.... (Dogs)

A recent event I heard about through youtube where a woman's (I am SO sorry Mrs. Volfie) homestead chicken coop was broken into by a Fisher, her entire flock of 40 meat birds, all massacred. She and her husband have two "toy breed" dogs on their homestead...Boston Terriers I believe. Neither of which apparently alerted to the attack despite what must have been a lot of noise. Which got me thinking...

I admit it. I'm already a "dog person".
I own an elderly American Pit Bull Terrier Cross that was rescued from a kill shelter.... She's a great dog, but she's a "city dog". I would not expect her to ever take on an angry Raccoon, much less run off Coyotes, Martins, Fox, or even Bears (or from what I'm hearing, Cougars now in our part of Canada... yikes!)...etc.

So, I've been looking into what breeds of dogs I may consider getting in the future. Not just as companions for myself, but just as importantly, dogs capable of protecting me and my livestock from interlopers and wild predatory animals.

I've narrowed it down some already, given my knowledge of dog breeds through my current and past job experience (I've worked in Animal Hospitals for years, shelters, and as a Dog Groomer, and many of my friends and associates are into dog sports, dog training, protection work, etc).

Here are my top five picks for my future Guardian dog(s). But please keep in mind these are my own personal choices, based on my own circumstance and taste, and is not meant as a guide for anyone else who may be considering a livestock or farm guardian dog. Do your own research, and find out what dog(s) suit you best! There are dozens of breeds out there (and mixes), some more common than others, that may work better for your situation. Please keep that in mind! :)

1. American Bulldog. (Scott/Johnson/Hybrid Types)
-Large, powerful, agile, intelligent, easy to groom, great natural protective instincts. I already have a lot of experience with them and think they'd be a great fit. Especially one from working bloodlines. Only down side is the short fur and lack of undercoat, thus intolerance to extreme cold and heat.


2. Great Pyrenees (Pyrenean Mountain Dog).
- Large, intelligent, calm, accommodating, great natural protective instincts. Can stay outside all year, including winter if need be. Great dogs. Of all the European-bred Livestock guardians, this one is highest on my list. Only down side really, is the grooming requirements to maintain the dog's long, thick coat to keep it healthy and mat-free.



3. Dutch Shepherd.
-Depending on bloodlines, these dogs have insanely high work-drive. Large to Medium in size. Protective, extremely intelligent (moreso than any German Shepherd I've ever seen), infinitely adaptable (they're used for police and military applications, personal protection, bomb sniffing, search and rescue, etc), and they have the body of an Olympic athlete!


4. Valley Bulldog (Bullboxer).
-A Canadian Original. Originating from Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia. Medium in size. Created for use as a catch dog, as well as to protect the farm from natural predators. They were created by crossing Bulldogs and Boxers (thus the nickname "Bullboxer"), and are known for their durability, athleticism, intelligence, out-going nature, an natural protective instincts. Downside of course, is the lack of undercoat or long hair, and some suffer from Brachycephalic syndrome if their snout is too short.




5. English Shepherd (Farm Shepherd).
- A rare breed. Interesting dogs with a long history. Medium in size. Intelligent, independent, adaptable, cautious of strangers, and trustworthy with livestock from Cows to baby chicks. They're bigger than Border Collies, and free of many of the genetic diseases that plague it's more popular cousins (Australian Shepherds /Border Collies).




Just to be clear; the dogs on my list, with maybe the exception of the Great Pyr' and English Shep', would not be housed  where they would have direct access to the goats, rabbits, ducks, or chickens. They would however, be able to "patrol" the property in order to keep livestock-killers like foxes, raccoons, martins, coyote, feral dogs, black bears, etc... out. As well as alert to any trespassers or unwanted visitors.

Remember. There are DOZENS of breeds (and mutts) out there that make great additions to the Farm/Homestead! Go to the library, find as many encyclopedias of dog breeds (especially ones that include RARE and unusual breeds, not just "AKC/UKC/CKC Recognized" ones) as you can. Read, read, read!! Then decide what's best for your location, situation, and taste. Keep in mind Vet' costs, food expenses (so many people forget that one), and Grooming requirements when making your choice!  Lastly, always make sure the breeder you purchase from does health checks (OFA/PennHip/etc), and also consider checking out your options at your local Shelter. Some GREAT Farm dogs can be found at the Pound (and you'd be saving a life to boot)!

No comments:

Post a Comment